Learn from Past Criminal Behavior. Prevent Future Crime.
The best possible solution to crime is prevention. With an online Master’s Degree in Criminology from Regis University, you can develop a highly specialized skillset in understanding, predicting, and preventing crime in a completely customizable curriculum. Our Master’s program is unique in that it can tailor courses to fit your particular interests in criminology. Choose a subject you are passionate about and work with your professor to create personalized coursework on topics such as human trafficking, public safety or victim advocacy within the context of each course.
In addition to your chosen subject of interest, the Master of Science in Criminology at Regis offers three distinct areas of focus to target a specific career track:
- Leadership Focus – Study conflict resolution, governance, and organization for leadership roles.
- Human Behavior Focus – Examine the circumstances and psychology that drive criminal behaviors.
- Cybercrime / Terrorism Focus – Learn how to predict and prevent technology crimes, and acts of terrorism.
Examine the Criminal Mind
Explore the factors that cause criminal behavior and the most effective practices for reforming it with our online or on campus Master’s in Criminology. Understanding the who, what, when, and why of criminal behavior is the important factor in preventing these behaviors. Our in-depth curriculum examines:
- Socioeconomic, environmental, political, and cultural circumstances
- Criminal psychology, sociology, behavior patterns, and criminal profiles
- Analysis of crime statistics
- Leadership, ethics, policy, and decision making
While criminology and criminal justice share the same theme of supporting societies’ laws, there are major differences in the academic approaches they employ.
Criminology and criminal justice are viewed as “cause and effect”:
A master’s degree in criminology focuses on the causes that relate to and lead to criminal behavior. This degree offers a broad range of career opportunities that include leadership roles within law enforcement and the criminal justice system, as well as, roles in social services, public policy, the military, and in the security field. Some common careers in criminology include:
- Police Administrators
- Federal Agents
- Intelligence analysts
- Forensic Psychologists
- Gaming Investigators
- Loss Prevention Specialists
- Strategic Security Specialists
- Victim Services Specialists
A master’s degree in criminal justice focuses on the effects of crime, related to the apprehension and treatment of criminals. The most popular careers in criminal justice are typically associated with police and detectives, corrections and the criminal justice system:
- Police Officers
- State Troopers
- Legal Assistants
- Probation Officers
- Private Security Officers
A master’s in criminology greatly expands career options beyond what a criminal justice degree provides. Graduates of Regis University’s Masters in Criminology program are expertly prepared for leadership and managerial roles across the criminal justice system, private security, intelligence gathering and analysis, insurance investigation, social services, military applications and much more.
Why Choose Regis University's Online Master of Science in Criminology?
- Learn how to understand, predict and prevent crime in a multi-tracked program that focuses on leadership, human behavior, or cybercrime/terrorism.
- Coursework throughout the curriculum is customized to a specific area of criminology that interests you most.
- Enrich your studies with our respected, practitioner-based faculty.
- Earn a career-building degree with the flexibility of choosing courses on campus, online, or a combination of both.
- Benefit from the strong network of support you’ll have as a student with our knowledgeable faculty advisors, and our career service resources.
- Join a geographically diverse student body with a variety of viewpoints and backgrounds to enhance your world perspective.
- Be part of an award-winning, nationally recognized college with the reputation as an industry leader in adult higher education.
- Gain life-long access to career counseling resources from Regis University.
Learn what you can do with an online master’s degree in criminology from Regis University. Request information online or call us at 877-820-0581 to speak to an admissions counselor.
Visit our Resource Center for more information on the criminal justice industry.